Church Tour

There is a trifold leaflet about the church you can download here.

Here are some pictures in and around the church:

    14th Century Tower    


In the porch   The Victorian Nave The altar in Lent


In the North Aisle


The remains of the ironwork taken from the grave of the blacksmith A F Hill (1883) who made the gates of the Houses of Parliament. Tools of his trade can be seen in the ironwork.   The Side Chapel is used every day for morning prayer, Tues and Wed mornings for Holy Communion and on Saints Days. It is also used by parents with noisy children during services as it is soundproof.
The new Wall Hanging
with embroidered panels is made by members of the congregation. It was dedicated on 29.6.12 by The Right Revd. Andrew Watson, Bishop of Aston.
  The Pulpit given in memory of J Chatwin and J Stokes 1885. There are seven sculptured marble and alabaster figures: St Peter, St Paul, Jesus, St Matthew, St Luke & St John.


The Sanctuary

The East Window, the centre panel of which is in memory of the artist David Cox who is buried in the churchyard.    The Chancel and Sanctuary were refurbished in 1995 when the altar was moved back to the East End and a new communion rail was installed in memory of Stephen and Dorothy Lloyd (daughter of Mrs Neville Chamberlain who is buried in the churchyard). Stephen Lloyd was a Churchwarden.   The Sanctuary Lamp given in memory of E J Adams in 1952.
Two of the six angels above the Sanctuary.    Victorian tiling in the Sanctuary.   The Lectern, dated 1874, was given in memory of Charles Hart.

South Organ Area

The picture of St Peter,painted in 1972 by
Dawn Cookson, a pupil of Annigoni.
  Stained glass window in memory of
William Westley Manning 1866.
  The organ, installed by Messrs Hawkins in 1975
and built to the specification of George Miles
who was organist at St Peter's for many years.


South Transept and South Aisle


One of four Charity Boards
dating from 1715. 
  This window is in memory of Anne Roberts, widow of the Revd R J Roberts, Vicar 1883.    The Counsell Window in memory of Simon Counsell who was killed in a road accident at the age of 6.
His father, Michael Counsell, was a former Vicar at St Peter's.


Around the Church

The Church Hall and Parish Office   The Vicarage    The Glebe, which has now been closed by the Diocese,
who own it. Therefore it is not available for parking.


The Hall Garden        


In the Churchyard

The War Memorial
which is a Grade II listed building.
See here for details of restoration and a film made by Mike Murphy.
  The churchyard, which is 7½ acres, is 'closed'.  There is an area for the burial of ashes.   Grave of Anne Vere Chamberlain, wife of Neville
Chamberlain, Prime Minister1937 - 1940. 


 The grave of Thomas Baker,
a landscape artist.    
   Where the hearse used to unload the coffin.           Grave of the artist David Cox 
and his wife Mary.

The Three Lychgates

Number one by Harborne Hall
and St Peter's Primary School, Infants.
Number Two, showing St Peter's Primary school in the background...

Number Three by St Peter's Road.
    and the other way, the straight path to the War Memorial.    

^Page Top




St Peter's Church, Harborne, Birmingham, West Midlands, B17 0BB

Charity Number 1140018

2013 Designed by Harborne Computers Ltd.